Jedi Training Leia 3D printed parts

This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase something after clicking on one of these links I may earn a small commission. This comes at no cost to you and helps fund the web hosting, storage, and software fees I pay to enable me to digitize and share my patterns and tutorials. 

Head to http://www.jeneyre.com/2020/04/jedi-leia-pattern.html for info on the other parts of this build!

I sliced, printed, finished, and painted all the 3D printed parts myself on a Creality CR-10S https://amzn.to/2VmSfrI with a PEI sheet on the bed https://amzn.to/3cKlLxN in black PLA https://amzn.to/2XRJnMI .


This build started with the helmet, which happens to be the same one Rey wears when she's training with Leia. The helmet file is from https://do3dforum.com/product/3d-printable-model-reys-helmet-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-print-file-format-stl/ (not an affiliate link)


 I didn't get many pictures during this part of the build. I printed their original file, and will try to do a better job of documenting the process as I work on the updated file! The process involved A LOT of sanding, Bondo, more sanding, priming, more sanding, and finally, painting.

Here are some of the supplies I used:











The original lightsaber file was from TerranoidLabs on Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4096142 , and with permission, I modified some of the pieces in Tinkercad to fit a blade and a high power blue LED flashlight. Its not nearly as powerful as an actual lightsaber LED but still glows! I'm working on getting the modified files prepped to share on Thingiverse.


Here's an in-progress piece, where you can see the original TerranoidLabs version (not glued together) below the pieces I'd started modifying.

At some point I'll learn about lightsaber electronics, but between the 3D printing and modeling I figured I had enough to learn, so I found a Blue LED Flashlight https://amzn.to/3eyhCyu that I could make a bit more powerful with rechargeable 14500 batteries like this one https://amzn.to/2VNp5RT ,  (rather than AA). The batteries I bought are no longer available on Amazon, but I've heard good things about the brand I linked to. I have this charger  https://amzn.to/3eBPTwK .


I used the original Gorilla Glue https://amzn.to/2zbVUjv, that is activated with water, to glue the emitter parts. You do have to be careful with this type of glue because it "foams" up a bit where it squeezes out. This actually worked in my favor inside the tube because the foam parts make the lightsaber blade fit perfectly snugly. I can get a blade in, and its just tight enough to stay there without worrying about a blade retention screw. This is not going to be strong enough for combat, but is fine for a prop! I used Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Bright Coat Metallic Finish in Chrome https://amzn.to/2Ki9x2T and Rustoleum Metallic All Surface Paint and Primer in Desert Rose Gold. I may try the Copper bright coat next time https://amzn.to/3eEdsoD  as the chrome was more metallic in some sections than the Rose Gold. I also need to take my time and do a REALLY careful job on this one to get a more metallic finish. This kind of paint is FINICKY!!!




I modeled the rank badge myself in Tinkercad and will also work on getting that file prepped to share. I used name badge magnets on the back https://amzn.to/2VNobEI .




Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram